- Preheat grill to medium-high heat. Stir together 1 teaspoon ground cumin, 1 teaspoon chili powder, and 1 teaspoon garlic salt. Sprinkle over the sides of trimmed 12 ounces beef skirt steak.
- Slice 1 medium red onion into four thick slices. Coat both the steak and onion slices with cooking spray.
- Place steak and onion slices on grid. Grill, covered, for 4-5 minutes per side, or until the steak is still pink in center.
- While steak is cooking, coat a nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Cook 2 cloves minced garlic over medium heat. Add ½ cup salsa and 1 cup rinsed and drained black beans. Heat for 1 minute. Stir in ½ cup chopped fresh tomatoes.
- Remove steak from grill and let sit for a few minutes. Slice steak crosswise into thin strips. Separate the onion slices into rings.
- Place steak strips and onion slices into 8 warmed taco shells. Top with salsa mixture, and chopped cilantro if desired. Garnish with fresh lime slices.
- Makes 4 servings. Recipe Source: Diabetic Cooking magazine, 2012.