Healthy Eating in the New Year!
Eating healthier is probably one of your 2013 health goals. Did you know that throughout the day you can make as many as 200 food and eating decisions – that’s right - 200!! And many of those choices are completely mindless – we make them without thinking. This can lead to overeating, and therefore, weight gain. Here are a few thoughts about mindful, healthy eating for the New Year.Assess when you overeat:
Give attention to food when you are eating:
- With family and friends?
- Does the packaging encourage you to dive in?
- Are there distractions such as work, TV or kids that cause you to continue with mindless eating.
- Sit down at your table to eat.
- Serve plates from the stove, but keep the vegetables on the table for seconds.
- Use smaller plates.
- Begin the meal with either a vegetable soup or salad.
- Eat the healthier foods first.
- Return to veggies only when you want second portions.
Losing weight gradually and/our maintaining a healthy weight means giving attention to what, how, when and where
you eat. Eating healthy doesn’t just happen – you need to make it happen:
- Shop for the healthiest foods.
- Cook healthy.
- Appreciate and savor the food that you are eating.