Happy Healthy New Year!!!
New Year’s Eve parties are going to be in full swing. Parties and gatherings usually feature special foods, and often they are made with rich, fatty, calorie-laden ingredients. How to survive without gaining weight or seeing your blood pressure, blood glucose and cholesterol go off the charts? Moderation in everything is a pretty good rule of thumb. Here are some holiday party survival tips to save calories:
- Drink calorie-free: water, seltzer water, diet sodas.
- Focus on munchies with fruits & veggies.
- Make dips w/ low-fat ingredients: sour cream, cream cheese, etc.
- Focus on the healthy fats such as olives, nuts, & fish (salmon spread, smoked salmon).
- Low-fat cheese & multi-grain crackers.
- Ground turkey breast meatballs.
- Turkey breast & deli ham roll-ups.
New Year’s Eve parties are lots of fun, and you don’t want to spend your time fretting about your food intake. It is a special time with family and friends but you can maintain reasonable eating even at the merriest of gatherings. Other tips:
- Plan to eat your usual meals & snacks on the day of the party so that you are not starved by party time.
- Add in an extra long walk on the day of the party.