- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Spread 3 cups quick oats and 1 cup sliced almonds in single layer on 13x9-inch baking pan. Bake for 15 minutes, or until lightly toasted, stirring frequently.
- In large bowl stir together 1/2 cup honey, ½ cup wheat germ, 3 tablespoons melted no-trans-fat margarine or butter and 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon. Add the oats and almonds; toss to coat.
- Spread in single layer on baking pan. Bake for 20 more minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely.
- Break up the granola into pieces or chunks. Place in large storage container with lid.
- Stir in 3 cups whole grain flake cereal, ½ cup dried blueberries or golden raisins, ½ cup dried cranberries or cherries, and ½ cup dried banana chips or chopped pitted dates.
- Store at room temperature for up to 2 weeks. Makes 20 (½ cup) servings. From the Diabetic Cooking magazine, May/June 2012 issue.
Other ingredients can be added as desired such as ground flaxseed, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, other dried fruit, maple syrup for flavoring, etc.