Early-Morn Strawberry Coffee Cake
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat an 8-inch square baking dish with cooking spray.
- Cream Cheese Topping: In small bowl, whisk together 3 ounces softened light cream cheese, 2 tablespoons sugar and 1 large egg white until smooth.
- Crumb Topping: In a separate small bowl, stir together ¼ cup uncooked quick-cooking oatmeal and 1 tablespoon brown sugar. Using a fork, cut in ½ tablespoon light tub margarine until distributed evenly throughout the oatmeal mixture. It should be crumbly.
- In a medium bowl, stir together 1¼ cups all-purpose flour (part of this can be whole wheat), ½ cup uncooked quick-cooking oatmeal, 1/3 cup sugar and 2½ teaspoons baking soda. Make a well in the center.
- Pour ½ cup fat-free milk, ¼ cup natural applesauce, ¼ cup egg substitute and 1 tablespoon canola oil into the center of the flour. Stir until just combined; the batter will be somewhat lumpy. Do not over stir or the coffee cake may be tough. Pour into the baking pan, smoothing the surface.
- Lightly spread the cream cheese mixture over the batter. Arrange 1 cup chopped fresh strawberries evenly over the top. Then sprinkle the top with the oatmeal crumb mixture.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Transfer to a cooling rack. Let cook for 10 minutes before cutting. Makes 9 small servings.