Chronic Diseases are now Worldwide
Chronic diseases are not just found here in the United States. Data from The World Health Organization (WHO) shows high blood pressure, diabetes and heart disease are now in poor nations because of dietary and lifestyle changes.The Worldwide Stats (and they aren't pretty):
- 1 in 3 adults has high blood pressure
- Half of African adults have high blood pressure
- 1 in 10 adults has diabetes
The Scope of Obesity Worldwide:
- Obesity has doubled between 1980-2008
- ½ Billion people or 12% of the world population are obese!
In poorer nations with less access to health care, chronic diseases are not diagnosed and treated. This equates to unnecessary disability and deaths.Where do we go from here? Promote and encourage inexpensive personal lifestyle strategies to reduce chronic disease….
- A plant-based diet
- Daily activity and movement
- Avoidance of smoking
- Limited alcohol