Want to stay mentally sharp throughout life? A recent study suggests that there might be a dietary secret to preventing the brain shrinkage that is associated with Alzheimer’s disease.Reduce your risk of Alzheimer’s with these brain nutrients and foods:
- omega 3 fatty acids found in walnuts, flaxseed oil & ground flaxseed meal and oily fish (sardines, tuna, salmon and trout).
- vitamin B riboflavin in dairy products - milk, yogurt and cheese
- B-vitamins in green leafy vegetables, green peas and legumes
- vitamin C in OJ, kiwi, strawberries and citrus fruits, bell peppers, broccoli and Brussels sprouts, baked potato
- vitamin D in salmon, shrimp and fortified reduced-fat milk
- vitamin E in sunflower seeds, mayonnaise, wheat germ, and canola oil
Unhealthy trans fats seem to be associated with MORE brain shrinkage…. Partially hydrogenated oils found in shortening and stick margarine, pre-packaged fried and frozen foods, as well as commercially baked goods. Check the Nutrition Facts label to bring home foods that have 0 grams trans fats.A Brain Food bean salad loaded in B-vitamins (legumes) and vitamin C (salsa and bell peppers):