Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Scrub 6 medium baking potatoes, and bake in hot oven until tender when pierced with a fork.
- Once slightly cooked, cut potatoes in half lengthwise. Scoop out the potato pulp, leaving ¼ -inch of potato on the inside of each skin. Then cut the halves into half again so that each potato is now four quarters.
- Brush lightly all sides of the potato quarters with olive oil and place on baking sheet. Sprinkle the inside with your choice of low-sodium seasoning: freshly ground black pepper, Mrs. Dash seasoning, garlic or onion powder, etc.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until lightly browned, and the skin is crisp.
- Remove and serve with desired toppings: reduced-fat sour cream or Greek yogurt, salsa, black bean salad, grated reduced-fat cheese, refried beans, chili, thinly sliced green onions, etc.
The American Heart Association’s Low-Fat, Low-Cholesterol Cookbook.